Thursday, January 24, 2008

Goals! I Love Goals!!!

I found this thingy while browsing for thingies to add to my blog cause I'm trying to make it a little more exciting for the three of ya! Anyway, at "The Daily Meme" I happened upon "101 things to do in 1001 days". I looked at a couple of lists and decided that this may be something I can do. Then my normal little devil on my shoulder said "YOU! You can't do this" and I said "Yes, I can...I think...maybe....sorta....or....not." sigh. *insert triumphant laughter from little devil here*. Then I got mad. And it got ugly (the fight between me and the little devil) but I WON. I'm gonna try! I decided that even if I didn't get all 101 things done, I will have a least accomplished some of them, hopefully most of them! And SOMETHING is better than NOTHING darn it! (scuse my language)

I find I do better at accomplishing things if they are written down. I also find that I feel better about me if I accomplish things and I feel even better if I see things crossed off my list. I have also found that I can do more if I break things down in categories and small chunks. For instance, I am not going to just list 101 things, they will have sections like, family time, home care, crafts and so on. Within those sections will be my goals such as paint the interior of the house then I will break it down into "things". Paint Noah's room, paint the bathroom, paint the kitchen etc. So, here I go. By the way, I want this list handy so I will also have it in my side bar. I will cross things off as I get them done. Feel free to cheer me on......actually please cheer me on, I'm begging!

My start date is February 18, 2008. I am starting on Noah's birthday. There is some significance in that but I'm not sure what...hmmm. New beginnings maybe. I'll think on that one but anyway, my completion date is November 15, 2010.

The Mission:Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria:Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

The List:

Family Time
1. Start a monthly board game night
2. Have a monthly date night with Gene
3. Have a bi-monthly lunch date with Kevin (this will be like pulling teeth hence the bi-monthly)
4. Plan and take short road trips every 6 months
5. Get to know Noah's new school teacher in the fall
6. Volunteer to help Noah's school teacher
7. Get information on home schooling in case Noah's new teacher quits her job and runs for the hills (or public school is just not Noah's thing!)
8. Plant flowers with Noah this spring
9. Teach Noah how to swim
10. Teach Kevin how to cook (yikes)
11. Do one special family outing per payday (movies, bowling, water park, zoo, museum, area national parks, aquarium etc.)

House Care
Paint the Interior:
12. Noah's room
13. Kevin's room
14. Kitchen/Dining Area
15. Family Room
16. Master bedroom
17. Master bathroom
18. Main bathroom
Maintenance:
19. Repair torn window screens
20. Replace sliding glass door
21. Replace front door
22. Replace family room carpet
23. Repair kitchen floor
24. Refinish Buffet
25. Repair chest drawer handle
26. Replace kitchen faucet
27. Find replacement key for antique sheet music cabinet

Home Organization
28. Organize master bedroom bookshelf
29. Clean out my nightstand
30. Organize my closet
31. Organize laundry room cabinets
32. Organize linen closet
33. Organize master bathroom cabinet
34. Re-arrange Noah's chest of drawers
35. Clean out large cabinet in garage
36. Donate/sell/trash 50 pieces of my clothing!!
37. Donate/trash old videos
38. Sell/donate video cabinet
39. Clean our/reorganize file cabinet
40. Donate/sell 20 of Noah's toys
41. Find a better storage solution for remaining toys
42. Sell/donate/trash 20 knick knacks/pretties
43. Organize music CD's
44. Clean out storage shed
45. Sell/donate/trash/25 items out of the attic
46. Sell/donate/trade 50 books
47. Clean out/organize family room bookcases
48. Clean out chest in family room

New Business
49. Visit Small Business Bureau
50. Register business idea - research the necessity of a patent/copyright
51. Develop business plan
52. Write survey
53. Research how to best conduct the survey
54. Research area development for best location
55. Compile list of needed employees
56. Research insurance needs
57. Research financial backing avenues
58. Research name development
59. Gather information on available educational programs

Financial
60. Pay off Saturn
61. Pay off Ford
62. Pay off BOA
63. Pay off Chase
64. Build savings
65. Build education fund
66. Build travel fund

Crafty Things
67. Organize catering supplies
68. Organize cake decorating tools
69. Organize craft stuff
70. Organize scrap booking supplies
71. Find a permanent home for scrap booking supplies
72. Start a monthly craft club at church
73. Re-do my homemade cookbook
74. Finish organizing my photos
75. Finish Noah's birth story scrapbook
76. Start Noah's pets scrapbook - Noah's Ark
77. Complete 10 more pages for Dad's scrapbook
78. Complete 10 more pages for Mom's scrapbook
79. Complete Rainbow Row cross stitch (again)
80. Complete 3 Charleston themed cross stitch gifts to have on hand for people leaving the area
81. Complete praying hands cross stitch
82. Get sewing machine serviced and in good working condition
83. Sew an item of clothing for myself

Personal Goals
Health:
84. Loose 10 pounds
85. Loose 10 more pounds
86. Loose 10 more pounds
87. Loose 10 more pounds
88. Loose 10 more pounds
89. Get involved in some sort of weekly exercises program
90. Determine the best solution to my back issues
Education:
91. Learn Spanish
92. Learn Sign Language
93. Complete the 888 challenge
94. Learn how to make homemade yeast breads
95. Take a class at Trident Tech in culinary arts
Spiritual:
96. Read the Bible through in 2008
97. Complete at least 3 in depth Bible studies in 2008
98. Complete at least 3 in depth Bible studies in 2009
99. Complete at least 3 in depth Bible studies in 2010
100. Find a place to serve my community
101. Find another way to serve in my church

Well, there you have it. Wish me luck and join me if you like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Go Girl!! I'm not sure if I want to join you or be overwhelmed for you. I probably have just as many things on my list, but having them in one place seems like a lot. I know you can get it all done. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Pat said...

Wow! That's amazing! I'm tired now...going to take a nap!

Angela Nazworth said...

Wow!! You CAN do this Robin and I am praying for that little Devil to be forever blown off your shoulder. Would you be interested in walking together sometime?

Anonymous said...

I'm a list person, too! I need my road map to know where I am going. I like this meme, I just might have to try it out, too! You're pretty ambitious. I'm glad you didn't let that "other" voice win!!

I just wanted to THANK YOU so much for the comment you left on my giveaway for a prayer journal. Although you would like it, you opted to give it to a commenter that appears to need it more than you. That is exactly what the family of God is all about!! When I read her comment, I was truly moved, but then when I read yours, I was almost in tears. By the way, did I mention, I'm not a crier??

Anyway, my whole point in this was not the giveaway itself but hoping to create a desire in at least one person for prayer. I didn't expect to be emotional about it!! :) Thanks for being such a kind blogger!!

Since the response looks like people are actually interested in this thing, I will probably do a post next week on how to create one for yourself. It's all about spending that time with Him!!

By the way, I like your name, even if you do spell it with an "i"!!!

-Robyn