Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ten Wonderful Things About......

My pops!!!! Since this past Sunday was Father's Day, I figured Pops should be my next blog victim...uhhhh recipient, yeah, that's it. Again, random order here!

  1. He loves his family and is not afraid to show it. He is always full of hugs and kisses which I think is really cool. A lot of men are reserved when if comes to outward shows of affection. Not pops....you ever need a hug, look him up!
  2. He loves animals. I get my "Elly Mae Clampet" gene from him.
  3. He is really really smart. He can do the NY Times crossword puzzle in just minutes and is done before I have figured out 1. across...... He knows so much stuff it just blows my mind!! (I think I am fairly smart but not near as smart as pops. I certainly did not get the crossword puzzle gene.....)
  4. If he has a job to do, he does it right. No half way stuff. You can rest assured that no matter how big or small, it will be done well. 4.a. - He has an awesome work ethic. Very fair and honest and highly respected. I know this because whenever I would run into someone he worked with, they always had high praise. They would say things like, "he is a great man" and "I really miss working with him" and "I learned so much from him" and ....well you get the picture!
  5. He is a great teacher. Whenever I needed help with something I didn't understand, he would find a way to teach me so I could get it. I have to admit that there are a couple of things I still don't understand but those are things I will NEVER understand and not because he wasn't teaching right......like, how does the radio in the car work......I will NEVER get it. Many people have tried to explain it to me but it just doesn't make sense to me....all with the waves in the air that you can't see.....PULEESE....how is that supposed to make sense I ask you!
  6. He is loyal. He was in the Navy as a sub sailor for over 27 years. He is loyal to his country and his fellow sailors. He has been married to my sweet mom for over 47 years now. I'd say that's loyalty (OK, and love and stuff too). He is loyal to family and friends and most importantly, his is loyal to our God.
  7. He is FUNNY! He has great facial expressions to accompany his humor and could probably make a living as a stand up comic. His mind is so quick and he can really come up with some zingers but that's not the only way he is funny. He has long standing funnies. To explain, here is an example..... For as long as I can remember, he has jokingly and lovingly referred to my mom as "what's her name" For some reason, this really cracks people up and they never forget it. When we left Chicago, the church bulletin read: We will miss Tom, Robin and What's Her Name.....I'm not kidding!
  8. He is good with nature stuff. He knows what that bush is over there and that the crows have a lookout dude and that when the clouds are moving in that direction it means rain is probably coming in this direction not over there....huh? I didn't get that gene. My plants that do end up living in spite of me, well, they really don't like me very much. They have to beg for water and stuff.....
  9. He is a wonderful "Poppy" to Noah. When together, they are inseparable. They play together, watch movies together, do computer stuff together, read together, go for walks together.....GET INTO TROUBLE TOGETHER.....that is another blog for another time! :-)
  10. He is a wonderful example of what a man should be. He is honorable, loving, loyal, knowledgeable, respectful and respected, playful, funny, courageous, curious, humble, talented (side note: he plays guitar really well, has a great singing voice and is very good at woodworking to name a few of his many talents). He is a man of very strong faith in our God. My husband has said that he often uses my dad as an example. I really hope our boys do that too. It would be such a great thing if they grow up to be like their dad, who is striving to be like.....my dad!

3 comments:

Gene Smith said...

I vote him guilty on all counts...

Anonymous said...

It took me some time to finish this. My glasses kept fogging up for some reason. I'm far from worthy of these very kind and wonderful things you said. One thing I am "guilty" of is my very deep love for my family - my wonderful wife, my beautiful and gracious daughter, the greatest son-in-law in the world, and of course, my fabulous grandsons. I HAVE BEEN AND CONTINUE TO BE SO RICHLY BLESSED!!!! Thanks so much for the kind (even if not so well-deserved) words. Makes my heart feel sooooo good. Pops.

Jeanie said...

I agree with Robin.....You are an awesome Pops.....Even if you do steal my time with Noah....: )
Love Ya, Jeanie